A brief history of Manilla Public School
The first public school was started at North Manilla in 1877. Classes were held in the Uniting Church with 30 pupils. In 1879, a school was built at North Manilla to accommodate 50 pupils.
By the end of the century, agitation had increased to remove the school to the southern side of the river where most of the people lived. A new school building was completed, on the corner of Court and Arthur Streets, by the end of 1900. The opening ceremony was due to take place on the 26th January 1901. However, the death of Queen Victoria meant the suspension of all government functions and the school was never officially opened.
A branch of the Parents and Citizens Association was formed in 1917 and also in that year a course of secondary schooling was established.
The new secondary department in Wilga Avenue was officially opened in November 1966. In 1986 the school was enlarged with the provision of rooms for science, art and administration.
In 1993 work was begun on the multi-purpose centre and new art, music, home science, science and computer rooms.
In 2008 a large covered area was constructured over the netball court at the primary site in Court Street as a result of the Federal Government's "Investing in our Schools" Program.
In 2010 a Language Centre was built at the secondary site, four new classrooms were constructed at the primary site, two wooden classrooms were demolished and six of the classrooms in the original primary building were refurbished. All of these works were carried out under the Federal Government's "Building the Education Revolution".
In 2011 the Hospitality, Construction and Metals and Engingeering facilities were refurbished under the "Trade Training Centre" program.